Tuesday, August 12, 2008

PvB: Player vs. Blizzard, or, How to Fix Warsong Gulch

I've been PvPing a lot lately, which is something I almost never do. I'm not a huge fan of the arena system or the battlegrounds, and I play on a PvE server, so PvP is not something I involve myself in much. The new Olympics pet, however, has drawn me into the BGs for the past few days (I still haven't gotten it).

I mostly participate in AV for the honor and EoTS because I actually enjoy EoTS when the Alliance aren't being complete morons. I did, however, actually venture into WSG at the behest of a guildy and quickly remembered why I hate WSG. In short, because it sucks.

WSG is a BG where it is possible that it may never end. If both sides go 100% on the defensive, or turtle, then the game could go on forever. I feel that this is the main reason people dislike WSG. You could conceivably go an hour with little to show for it.

AV had this problem in the past. If both sides went on the defense, then it could be impossible to kill Drek or Vann. A patch, however, solved this problem in a very simple and eloquent manner. Each side received 600 reinforcements, of which a certain number would be lost if a tower was captured or a player was killed, and all would be lost if your general died. When a team hit zero reinforcements, the game was over.

Now I'm not a PvP expert, and I don't know what BGs were like in the pre-BC days, but I feel that Blizzard could solve WSG's problem by simply implementing the reinforcement system. Give each side 300-400 points to start with and have each flag capture reduce your opponent's reinforcements by 100, while killing an enemy player would reduce their total by one. This would allow turtle's to end, albeit at a slower pace than via flag captures.

Now, while I'm on the subject of PvP, which I will probably not visit for another 50 posts, Blizzard needs to do something about Honor per hour, or Hph. The current belief is that AV provides the most Hph, followed by EoTS and AB, and lastly WSG. This is another reason that few people venture into WSG: it simply does not provide enough incentive to spend your time in it.

I'm sure that Blizzard knows exactly how long the average WSG, AB, AV, and EoTS last, as well as the average Honor gained by both winners and losers. I feel that if Blizzard simply balances the honor gained over the time spent in the average BG, it would send more people in the direction of WSG and AB, and take some of the load off of AV and EoTS. Just my two cents, but I believe that my reasoning is sound.

No comments: