Friday, June 20, 2008

Patch 2.4.3 Notes: A Review

Warning: Patch notes are subject to change. Any and all changes may or may not survive the PTR and make it onto the live realms.

Patch notes were drawn from WoW Insider.

The PTR patch notes for patch 2.4.3 are now out and there's been quite a stir about some of the major changes. I'm not going to cover everything in the patch notes, but what I feel are important changes to the game.

The "Gigantique" Bag.
This monster of a bag will run you 1200g, a far cry from the Primal Mooncloth Bag's average buyout of 400g, and only two slots bigger. While I understand what Blizzard is trying to do here (combat inflation due to the 2.4 dailies), I don't recommend you spend the money on this unless:
a) You have gold coming out the wazoo.
b) You already have all 20 slot bags.
c) You already have a bank alt and still are running out of space.

Mounts at lvl 30.
I've heard some grumbling in the ranks about this one. Some people from my guild (I won't name names) are arguing that this will make it too easy for the new players, and that this cheapens the leveling experience. What I say to that is:
a) Back when I was a kid, candy cost a nickel!
b) When I was a kid, we had to walk to school uphill, both ways, in the show, barefoot!
c) Back in EQ1, raids were 78 people and we liked it!
I don't want to be mean, but shut up. Actually, I take it back. I'll be mean on this one.
If you don't like it, don't buy the mount and 30 and walk for another 10 lvls. Have fun with that.

Equipping an item will now cancel any spell cast currently in progress.
This is actually a fairly major change for healers and casters. At the moment, by equipping an item, usually a weapon, libram, idol, or totem, during a cast, a caster or healer can avoid the GDC associated with equipping that item. This let casters and healers enjoy the benefits of both a +spell damage or +healing enchant along with Spellsurge over the course of a long fight (I won't go into the details). This strategy was also used to let Shamans, Paladins, and Druids benefit from multiple Totems, Librams, and Idols (respectively) over the course of a fight. Now, casters and healers will be forced to pick a weapon or item and stick with it for the fight, or suffer the 1.5 second GCD.

Curse of Shadows: This spell has been removed.
Curse of Elements: This spell now applies to Arcane and Shadow damage, as well as Frost and Fire.
This is a simple yet important change, mostly for raids with two or more warlocks. Since both CoS and CoE won't both have to be up, only one warlock is now needed to keep CoE up, and the other can apply CoA or CoD.

The Stun component to the Sunblade Mage Guard Glaive Throw has been removed and the Bounce range reduced.
Sweet lord I hate that ability. Why couldn't Blizz have made this change before I swore to never enter MgT on my Holy Paladin again.

Increased the drop rate of Pristine Yeti Horns from Winterspring Ice Thistle Matriarchs and Patriarchs.
OK, so maybe this isn't a huge change, but I still remember this quest because of the abysmally low drop rate.

So that's everything that I feel is really important. I skipped the Sunwell Plateau stuff mostly because I have no idea what any of it's about, but if you feel I missed anything, feel free to comment below.

For the Horde and the Naaru!

No comments: